UEFA Europa League group stage draw | UEFA Europa League 2022/23
The 2022/23 UEFA Europa League group stage draw was broadcast live from 13:00 CET on August 26. It took place in Istanbul, Türkiye.
The 32 teams were divided into eight groups of four.
group A: Arsenal, PSV Eindhoven, Bodø/Glimt, Zurich
Group B: Dynamo Kyiv, Rennes, Fenerbahce, AEK Larnaca
Group C: Roma, Ludogorets, Real Betis, HJK Helsinki
Group D: Braga, Malmö, Union Berlin, St-Gilloise
Group E: Manchester United, Real Sociedad, Sheriff, Omonoia
Group F: Lazio, Feyenoord, Midtjylland, Sturm Graz
Group G: Olympiacos, Qarabag, Freiburg, Nantes
Group H: Crvena zvezda, Monaco, Ferencvaros, Trabzonspor
Which teams participated in the draw?
Manchester United (ENG)
Crvena zvezda (SRB)
Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)
PSV Eindhoven (NED)
Real Sociedad (ESP)
Real Betis (ESP)
Union Berlin (Germany)
HJK Helsinki (FIN)
Sturm Graz (AUT)
AEK Larnaca (CYP)
How the draw worked
• For the group stage draw, the 32 clubs involved were drawn into four pots of eight, in accordance with the following principles.
• The first pot comprised the UEFA Europa Conference League title holders (Roma) and the first seven clubs in the club coefficient ranking, the second group the next eight clubs in the ranking, and so on for groups 3 and 4.
• In order to ensure that paired clubs from the same association kick off at different times according to the pairing principles, the eight groups were distinguished by color: groups A to D were red and blue E to H groups.
• When a paired club was assigned, for example, to a red group (A, B, C or D), the other paired club – once drawn – was automatically assigned to one of the four blue groups ( E, F, G or H).
• Red group and blue group matches will take place at alternate kick-off times (18:45 or 21:00 CET).
Why are some clubs twinned?
In the case of associations with two representatives, these clubs are paired so that their matches start at different times.
In the case of associations with three representatives, only two clubs are twinned.
In the case of associations with a UEFA Europa League group stage representative and a UEFA Europa Conference League group stage representative, the clubs are also paired so that their matches start at different times.
In the case of associations with one UEFA Europa League group stage representative and three UEFA Europa Conference League group stage representatives, the unpaired UEFA Europa Conference League club is paired with the club in the group stage of the UEFA Europa League.
In the case of associations with three UEFA Europa League group stage representatives and one UEFA Europa Conference League group stage representative, the unpaired UEFA Europa League club is paired with the club in UEFA Europa Conference League group stage.
All of these pairings are based on TV audiences.
A Rome & Lazio
B Manchester United and Arsenal
VS Crvena zvezda & Partizan (UECL)
D Dynamo Kyiv & Dnipro-1 (UECL)
E Feyenoord & PSV Eindhoven
F Rennes & Monaco
g Real Sociedad and Real Betis
H Malmö & Djurgarden (UECL)
I Midtjylland & Silkeborg (UECL)
J Bodø/Glimt & Molde (UECL)
K Union Berlin & Freiburg
L Fenerbahce and Trabzonspor
M Nantes & Nice (UECL)
NOT Sturm Graz and Austria Vienna (UECL)
O AEK Larnaca and Omonia
P Zurich & Basel (UECL)
What happens next?
Group winners Go straight to the round of 16.
Group runner-up Progress to the knockout play-offs, where they will face one of eight teams transferred from the UEFA Champions League after finishing third in their group.
Third-placed teams Transfer to the UEFA Europa Conference League, where they will face the group runners-up of this competition in the knockout play-offs.
Day 1: September 8, 2022
Day 2: September 15, 2022
Matchday 3: October 6, 2022
Day 4: October 13, 2022
Matchday 5: October 27, 2022
Matchday 6: November 3, 2022
Knockout play-offs: November 7
Round of 16: February 24
Quarters and semi-finals: March 17
*All draws start at 13:00 CET
Knockout play-offs: February 16 & 23
Round of 16: March 9 and 16, 2023
Quarter-finals: April 13 & 20, 2023
Semi-finals: May 11 & 18, 2023
Final: May 31, 2023